Buying locally made plastic free gifts is not just good for the planet. It also directly supports our fabulous local growers, artisans and makers. You know what they say…. ‘everytime you buy from a small business, a real person does a little happy dance’.
We’ve focussed on thoughtful, affordable items that are made with love, avoid single-use plastics and support our community. We’ve included some options that make simply beautiful presents while others also encourage good habits amongst your colleagues, family and friends.
1. Locally made reusable coffee cup - check out Natalie Heriot Ceramic Artist for a gorgeous handcrafted, locally made selection of ceramic cups. Alternatively, head to your local coffee shop -- many venues offer beautifully designed reusable cups that are so much nicer to drink out of than a crappy single-use plastic cup.
2. Nourishing skincare - as most of us are quite selective when it comes to skincare, it’s terrific to have some of the countries leading ‘zero waste’ / no tox skincare products made right here on the Peninsula. Check out The White Pigeon Said for their gorgeous 100% natural range and out of this world packaging!Their pamper packs make for sensational gifts!
3. Jewellery - you can’t go wrong with handcrafted jewellery! Check out OMG Seaglass made by local artist Kirsty Van Deur. Kirsty combines seaglass found along Peninsula beaches and recycled silver to craft the most beautiful designs.
4. Reusable shopping bags - we’re fortunate to have many wonderful locals involved with Boomerang Bags across the Peninsula. Their hand sewn bags make great little thank you gifts and are perfect for teachers! If you love sewing, repurpose old material into handmade tote bags - our op shops always have excess stock!
5. Delicious treats! - Everyone eats, so food is always a safe bet for gifts. A super simple idea with great effect is a jar of treats from the bulk store (e.g. Foundation bulk food in Dromana) or a collection of goodies from our local farmgates -- packaged in glass over plastic (e.g. Torello Farm).
6. Vino! - An easy yet perfect gift for many is a special bottle of locally made wine or champagne! Did you know we have a bunch of organic and biodynamic wine growers right here on the Peninsula who put huge effort into sustainability? Check out Foxey’s Hangout or Crittenden.
7. Workshops, Experiences and Memberships - we are big believers in gifting experiences over stuff. Great zero waste gifts include workshops, event tickets or classes. Memberships to a local attraction are great or give the gift of reconnection at the Peninsula Hot Springs - they have a fantastic collection of gift ideas. Another option is The Low Tox Fox - grab a voucher for their flotation tanks or sauna.
8. Charity Gifts and Donations: our very own Dolphin Research Institute offer a number of gift options, including the sensational ‘Adopt the Dolphin’ program where your money directly goes to help conserve our bays and marine life. You can also pick up some great gifts in their online auctions or support the award winning eduction program bringing world class marine education to our local students.
9. Zero Waste Starter Kit - there are a bunch of shops across the Peninsula that stock reusable essentials for eating out, shopping and packing your lunch. You can grab a bunch of goodies from different shops to gift a locally sourced zero waste starter kit. Or you can head straight to the local one stop online shop Natural Industry to purchase a collection of locally made items. Think bread bags, beeswax wraps, reusable cutlery sets and the like!
10. Green things up! Nothing says ‘sustainability’ like plants and they are appreciated by all! They look great and purify our air at the same time! Head to a local op shop to get your hands on affordable succulents and upcycle a beautiful glass or metal container. Or buy a selection of fruits and veggies… if you head to Torellos for example, you will find most are not contained in plastic pots! The Briars sell a sensational selection of local Indigenous plants and you will directly support the Peninsula’s biodiversity and zero emissions targets.
A FINAL NOTE ON WASTE WISE GIFTS!
We will expand our gift ideas and local business directory over time and welcome your submissions if you come across any great local additions. In the meantime, remember the guiding principle is to bring out your inner creative! Just keep it simple and upcycle as much as you can. Waste wise gifts are all about using your imagination, embracing a circular economy and choosing experiences over stuff the world doesn’t need! Happy gifting.